Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Tri Talk Tuesday: The Off Season

I've definitely been in an "off season," if you will, for the last year, but I'm joining up for Tri Talk Tuesday, with Courtney, Phaedra, and Cynthia again! Since I have a lot of rebuilding to do, and some big goals for next year, I'm approaching the coming off season as more of a "ramp up" season. Here's my goals and plans for the coming cold months:
  • Build a base. I definitely need to re-build my base, and I'm taking advantage of this opportunity to be better than I was last year. I'm going to focus on gradually building distance while focusing on speed, so sprints won't seem as terrible! I also want to build my strength back up with lots of full body gym work. I did a lot of swimming while I was pregnant, so I'm pretty confident I'll be back at longer workouts. As for biking....it looks like my trainer will be coming in handy again this winter!
  • Establish good habits. This applies to pretty much everything: take the time to focus on my form when running, plan out good meals and snacks, and start positive habits, like journalling. With a new baby, I can imagine all this will be a little harder than it sounds right now, but planning ahead (only buying fruit instead of halloween candy, for example) and remembering my end goals will help. 
  • Create a new training plan with specific goals. I'm usually pretty good at creating awesome plans, and then "adjusting" them whenever I feel tired, which makes my race goals adjust as well. This off season, though, I want to make a practical plan with solid goals and splits for each workout, so I don't waste time, and, hopefully, get better results when race season comes around! 
I'm still working on my race schedule for next year (as well as my plans for things like, graduating from law school, moving to a new state, taking the bar, and minor life events like that), but I'm itching to get back to hard workouts! I can't wait to feel exhausted from mile repeats, not just from walking up two flights of stairs! Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Well a new baby will definitely put you in "Off season" mode. If you swam throughout your pregnancy then you at least kept up some cardiovascular work which is good. You should be able to hopefully get on the trainer while the wee one is sleeping! Good luck with all your plans and thanks for linking up!!

    ReplyDelete