Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Tri Talk Tuesday: Triathlon Goals 2015!

It's another Tri Talk Tuesday with Cynthia at You Signed Up For What?, Courtney at The TriGirl Chronicles, and Phaedra at Blisters and Black Toenails! Since it's JANUARY 2015, this month is all about GOALS for the coming year! I'm definitely a huge planner, so my goals for this year have been on the forefront of my mind lately. I hate all the unknowns in my coming year, but at the same time, it gives me the opportunity to develop multiple contingency plans! 

Races: Just when I was getting excited about hitting super intense goals this year (try to qualify for nationals at the Jamestown Olympic! Finish SuperFrog Tri in San Diego!), I got some news that will definitely impact all of these goals, and my summer racing season! While I'm still adjusting a little, and waiting to hear where I will actually be working this summer, I've adjusted my goals to be more fun-focused, and short-distance focused. Right now, my plans include the Jamestown Sprint Triathlon and the Kinetic Sprint Triathlon, and I'm still looking for a few other races to fill in my schedule, maybe even a pool swim race! I'd really like to do an out of town race (as in, something West Coast or Florida), but that might have to wait. 

Swim: This year I anticipate spending more time in the pool, especially since I now live so close to the school pool, and would love to increase my speed! I plan on enlisting the help of my husband, who loves to correct everything I do, and another friend, who used to swim in college. By the end of February, I'd like to do a masters swim session using an actual prescribed time, not just a goal of "finish"! 

Bike: While I swear I will never be fully prepared for all the hills around Columbia (do you see Columbia or Iron Girl on my plan this year? No), I've started taking more spin classes and finally invested in an indoor bike trainer for my bike! It's soooo much more convenient to just hop on for a quick 40 minutes at the end of the day rather than trying to drag my butt to the gym or outside for a run when it's 20 degrees out. Hopefully this, and some more weight lifting, will help my bike time! 

Run: One of my new year's goals is to run a 5K in 24 minutes or less. I don't think I've done this since college, and once I beat this, I plan on bumping it up to a 10K in under 48 minutes! This is a huge goal for me, since I know my legs are always really dead after a tough bike, and I really need to learn to push through the weight and stretch out my stride. 

As with everything, my goals are pretty fluid, and I'll have to assess my progress as the school year goes on. For now, though, I've been very motivated by everyone on Team SOAS, who make me feel like a slug as I sit on my couch during winter break and check all their facebook updates, and by all the incredible people on Team RWB. This is going to be a great year! 

1 comment:

  1. Great goals! Hopefully your plans can get a little more set sooner rather than later. Being in limbo sucks, I'm totally there right now too.

    ReplyDelete