Sunday, November 30, 2014

Gobble Cobble 2014

Well, this holiday weekend has been pretty long. I forgot what not being at school for this long in a row was like. It's almost more stressful than being at school because I keep thinking about all the studying I could be doing. Even making a detailed schedule of studying for the next two weeks has not helped.

However, I did manage to fit in the Gobble Cobble Turkey Trot! It was a great 7K course through Harbor East, Fell's Point, and the Inner Harbor in Baltimore. While a slightly weird distance, it was definitely enough to get in a good warmup (I did not feel this way when I saw the three mile sign) and finish strong.

Since it started around 8:30, I got to the check in area around 8, picked up my shirt and bib, and then dropped my stuff in a locker inside the MAC (packet pickup was there and the gym was open to runners). I wasn't sure how I would feel about the weather, so I planned on wearing layers and going with the flow. Even though it was about 35 degrees out, it was sunny, not windy, and I ended up going with Oiselle tights, an Underarmour coldgear top, the adorable orange race shirt, and gloves and earmuffs. While I was never cold, I was right on the edge of being too warm, and probably could've gone with much lighter gloves.
The shirts were available in either unisex or women's sizes, in plain cotton, and I kind of love it. I didn't even realize women's fit cotton shirts were so comfy, since I'm so used to the unisex, boxy ones.

This was the first race I've done with my new Garmin Forerunner 10, and I haven't decided how I feel about it. On the one hand, it did motivate me to run a little faster, since I was hoping for an 8:30 pace. On the other hand, I also used as a little bit of a crutch to slow down a bit when I saw my pace hit below 8:00. At the end of the race, my official time was 36:23 (8:21 pace), good enough for 135th place overall, but I think my Garmin came in a little under 7K for the course. Oh well, I'm going to go with my official time ;) (according to my Garmin splits, I was somewhere between 8:30-8:55 each mile)

In other news, I ordered some Picky Bars during their awesome sale, I have started trying to figure out how to best utilize my new Believe training journal, and I am refraining from purchasing large amounts of clothes during all these sales. I was a running buddy again for the Girls on the Run 5K this past Sunday, which was pretty fun. I also managed to visit the Walters Art Museum here in Baltimore. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment