Monday, September 22, 2014

Coming soon: Ironman 70.3 Augusta!

So after a short weekend of a stuffy nose, sore throat, and major headaches while trying to finish a competition brief, I took some Nyquil last night and woke up this morning about two and a half hours after my first alarm. I vaguely remember looking at my phone and wondering what all those symbols mean, then passing back out. To pry my eyes open at the early hour of 9 am, I started flipping through my twitter and realized it's race week for Augusta!!

No, I am not doing the Augusta Half Ironman this year, though, it is still on my bucket list. Here's why (it's on my bucket list, not why I'm not doing it this year, see above for that reason):

In the summer of 2007, I went to Camp Buckner at West Point, and my bunkmate was an amazing athlete on the West Point Triathlon Team. She was beast. I had never heard of triathlon before, but after she explained it, I thought it sounded pretty cool. I was all about testing my limits. I mean, I volunteered for a summer at West Point, just for fun.

When I moved back to school in VA, I realized those hills where beauty dwells are not good for biking, plus I had nowhere to put a bike during school, so oh well.

Fast forward to September 2009, when I moved to Augusta, GA, for my first Army assignment. The first Sunday I was there, I went downtown for church and saw so many roads blocked off. I figured it was a race of some kind, but upon further investigation over bottomless mimosas, I learned it was actually a half Ironman race. I was completely blown away by the thought of doing that much physical activity in one day.

Also, the aforementioned bunkmate just happened to be racing that day, her first half Ironman, and finished first in her division in 4:31. Like I said, beast. I'm still trying to get my normal half marathon time up to her triathlon time.

This only renewed my interest in triathlon, and it wasn't long before I was swimming and running after class almost every day. My dreams of a race-filled summer were dashed when I got orders to go to Iraq, where I was fairly certain there would be no pool. I was right. There was, however, an XL stationary bike in the gym, and I spent many a Sunday spinning away. My regular workout turned into a 26.2 mile bike, because that just seemed like a good number, but after doing my first unofficial half marathon (literally 4 laps around the base I was at, at 4am, in 85 degree heat), I upped my Sunday spins to 50 miles. I felt like maybe a half ironman wasn't too much of a dream after all.

So, there yo have it. That's how I got started doing triathlons. Augusta is still on my bucket list, since the only year I could reasonably do it, it just happened to fall on my birthday. Maybe next year. Or the year after that. I'm definitely feeling a post-law school half ironman ;)

And good luck to everyone racing!! Augusta is an awesome place to visit, and an awesome place to race! 

No comments:

Post a Comment