Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Tri Talk Tuesday: Getting Over Burnout

I'm not going to lie, I spend too much time trolling through other blogs and reading race reviews for races I've already done, races I want to do, and to get great training tips. This week, I finally decided to link up with You Signed Up For WHAT?!The Cupcake Triathlete, and The TriGirl Chronicles for Tri Talk Tuesdays! 

Over the summer I definitely experienced a little running burnout. Any run over 3 miles seemed just painful, and I even started cutting short any track workouts I did. I was bored, it seemed painful, and, even though I had a goal in mind and did two races in June, it seemed pointless. The swimming and biking, though, were going great! Here's how I've been dealing with it:

  • Take a break: I cut out any "unnecessary" runs for a few weeks, and only had one short run a week with an optional run on my calendar for the weekends. I focused on speed, with some very short track sessions, and did them mostly so I'd maintain some semblance of a tan more than anything else. After just two weeks of short runs, though, I started pulling out of the funk.
  • Try something new: Maybe you just need a new perspective! I've been dying to try out Surfset classes, and add more yoga. While I didn't get around to more yoga (darn you, traffic!) replacing running with something I saw as more "fun" took my mind off the "guilt" of not running.
  • Focus on some other aspect of training: While I was HATING running, swimming was going great! I slowly added laps every week, mixed in different paces, and really felt like I improved. You could also focus more on eating healthier, trying new recipes, practicing transitions, or improving your bike mechanic skills.
  • Don't lose sight of your goals: I have two triathlons in August/September, so, as much as I didn't want to, I knew I couldn't cut out running entirely. One thing I knew I needed specifically was brick workouts. I did cut down the distance, maybe doing only a mile or two off the bike on weekends, but with the goals I had, this was just one thing I had to push through. 
Maybe training through a burnout is just one more mental hump to get you ready for race day. This is also where my Army-training "bounce, don't break" resiliency comes in, and I try not to let it ruin my outlook on the rest of my life at the time. A little bit of burnout isn't the end of the world; maybe it's just a sign that you need to shake things up a little bit. 

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Great tips, especially that last one!

    ReplyDelete