Sunday, April 27, 2014

Nike Women's Marathon DC Half: Expotique!

I just got back from DC for the Nike Women's Marathon DC Half, I need a distraction from studying for finals, and I have a ton to say! This race was hands down THE BEST race I've ever done, and I wish I'd been able to prep more and be more excited about it!

Saturday morning I drove down with a friend to go to the Expotique in Georgetown. Since we heard in advance that traffic would be terrible, we took the metro over to Foggy Bottom, then the Circulator from there. Even on the bus traffic was rough, and people were everywhere, even by crazy Georgetown standards.

The packet pickup area was up front, inside two different tents, and there was a lot of walking around in circles before getting to the "entrance" end. Rather than making everyone print out a waiver, and then go to a specific booth for your assigned bib number, Nike emailed everyone a bar code one could show on her phone. Bib pickup was super easy; I just stood in line until someone was open, showed my bar code, they scanned it, and scanned a random bib number to give me. They then marked the back with my shirt size and gave me a pace bracelet for my assigned corral based on predicted finish time. I was in corral 3 with 9:00-9:30 pacers. As we exited this tent we got our goody bags, which were clear plastic bags we could use the next day for gear check, and filled with the event guide and other goodies like shampoo samples, a mini luna bar (chocolate coconut, my favorite flavor!!), and other things.

Next we had to go around to the other side of another tent to pick up our shirts, which was super easy. They were awesome Nike Dri-fit shirts in a women's cut with "We Run DC" on the front. I love a good tech tee!

Upon exiting, I headed back towards the expo tent, which was on the other side of some buildings. The whole area was super crowded, with random lines for picture ops and such. Upon entering the expo, we even had to stand in a random line just to enter the main part of the tent. Inside was laid out so you couldn't get lost; there were no aisles to wander up and down, just one direction to follow. Fleet Feet had a booth to get some last minute essentials, then Nuun had a booth with samples. I love the Nuun Energy cherry limeade flavor! Luna had a booth where you could print off a personalized sign, and there was a huge line for that. Next, Paul Mitchell had a hair salon booth and were offering stylists to braid your hair into a number of styles. The wait was long, though. Near the end was a large blank wall that everyone had been signing all weekend. Obligatory race bib photo here:

After this, my friend and I headed up to M St in Georgetown, and debated whether or not to go to Georgetown Cupcakes or Sprinkles. We opted against both since my wedding is next week and I shouldn't have so much sugar. Boo. We headed down towards Nike Georgetown, which was a hot mess. We did find my name on the runner's wall though!

We then found a great place for some boiled shrimp and crawfish for lunch before heading into the Mall area. I met up with a college classmate for dinner in Chinatown, and made it back to my sketchy hostel before it started raining. 

No comments:

Post a Comment