Monday, February 24, 2014

Glass Slipper Challenge Complete! The Enchanted 10K

I finished the Glass Slipper Challenge! Overall, I'd have to say it was two great races, and a really crappy trip. Getting there was so frustrating, none of my friends were able to come so I was all alone, and the weather was 100% humid. But, Disney is magical, and the races turned out just as great as I expected.

I put off packing until the very last minute, so I knew I was bound to forget a few items. Like an extra pair of shorts, contact solution, and stuff like that. I did bring my foam roller, though, to help with recovery, and a lunch box full of bananas, gels, power bars, and protein powder.

As for my costume choice for this one, even the best laid plans can get messed up (a theme of this trip, perhaps?). I had ordered a few things, like a long sleeve shirt, for a Mulan costume, but because of the polar vortex, they didn't arrive until after I had already left. Thankfully a buddy drove me to some stores on Thursday night before I left to pick up ribbon and the shirt I needed to complete my costume. See below.

As for the travel, my flights out of BWI were delayed due to weather, and even landing was difficult. We ended up lifting off about 90 minutes late, then, once outside Tampa, had to circle almost another half hour due to weather. I then waited a half hour to pick up a rental car. On top of all that, I tried out a new pair of pink Sperry's and ended up with a nice blister on my heel that bled the rest of the weekend. Never try new shoes on race weekend!

Traffic from Tampa to Orlando was TERRIBLE, and I ended up getting to the expo site, Wide World of Sports, around 7:30, a half hour after the expo closed. At this point I was absolutely apoplectic, thinking I would miss the 10K. I practically assaulted every person I saw until someone took me to a runDisney employee who assured me that the bibs would be available for pickup directly before the race the next morning. What a relief! I wish this was info they shared more readily; I might have been a little calmer.

I woke up around 3:15am and got dressed, made some coffee, and headed out. Here's what I looked like:

I got a little lost on the way, but still arrived around 4, and headed to the information tent to pick up my bib. I brought my printed out and signed voucher, and was all ready to go.I was in corral A for the 10K, which was pretty exciting! Since this race was smaller, 15,000 I think, the whole area was a lot more informal. Outside the corrals was a big party going on with runners and spectators dancing and groups meeting up. It started promptly at 5:30, though, with the same fireworks and fanfare as the half marathon.

My original plan was to take it easy through the 10k, enjoy myself, and save some energy for the half the next day. I started out a little fast, but the extreme humidity slowed me down pretty quickly. I definitely didn't prep as I should have, and didn't eat anything before the race started, so I dehydrated a lot more than I had expected. The course looped through some roads outside of the park, then miles 3-5 were inside of the Epcot park. Perhaps because most of this area was so narrow, there weren't that many photo ops along the course, so I just kept going. I finished in 58 minutes, and placed 7th in the military category. Not too shabby. I was a little bit hoping for top 25, but being only a minute off of 5th place made me regret the water stops I took easy.

Since I finished so early, the finishing chute was mostly empty and I was able to grab several bottles of water and powerade on the way out. I unfortunately forgot where I parked my rental car, so I wandered around for a few rows before I lucked out. Since I'd only had a few hours of sleep the night before, mostly riddled with dreams that I missed the race, I headed back to the hotel, grabbed some chocolate milk, showered, and passed out hard.

The race bling was pretty awesome for a 10K though!

 I woke up around noon with a pounding headache, as I expected. I pounded some water and another powerade, and finished some pasta leftover from the night before. I then slipped on my running skirt I had brought for the next morning, since I forgot to bring any clothes other than jeans and a few tees. Not great in 85 degree weather with 100% humidity. I headed to the race expo to pick up the rest of my packet and check out the crowds.

This year the Fit for a Princess Expo was moved back to the Wide World of Sports complex, rather than one of the resorts like it was last year. After picking up my bag and three tee shirts, I wandered around a little bit and splurged on a runDisney quarter-zip fleece, which have been my go-to top for school lately. I also got some of the new mint Kayano 20s from the Lady Foot Locker booth, even though I just bought a pair of Asics on sale. One can never have enough running shoes on hand, right?!

By the time my headache came back, I was on my way back to the hotel and curled up in my bed and watched some Indiana Jones while it poured outside intermittently. So much for my pool day. I managed to find time to hit up the outlets (hello, Lululemon outlet!!) and grab some Chipotle before trying to get to sleep early. Even though my legs felt fine, I used my foam roller a little bit, and noticed my left IT band was more tender than usual. Not usually a good sign, but oh well!

What I learned from this day: HYDRATE more than you think you need, NEVER TRY ANYTHING NEW, have fun with your costume, and KEEP CALM! 

No comments:

Post a Comment