Thursday, May 2, 2013

Girls on the Run Happy Pace 5k

This past Saturday morning I was a volunteer and running buddy for the Happy Pace 5k for the Girls on the Run of the CSRA! Girls on the Run is a program for girls in grades 3-5 that helps them build confidence and develop life skills while also learning how to run. They do a 12 week program twice a week after school, then finish with a 5k that brings together the whole community.

As a running buddy, I ran with one of the girls. My buddy was in 4th grade, and was all about setting her own pace. The course was three one-mile loops, and was super flat. I've never run this course except for the GOTR 5ks, but I can imagine it would be pretty fast.

I think this is a really great program for girls, and I wish I could've done it when I was younger! I hated that all the girls programs seemed to involve tea drinking or sitting around, while the boys got to do fun stuff like paintball and capture the flag. Running is not at all "unfeminine" and we should definitely be encouraging more girls to find their happy pace at a young age!

No comments:

Post a Comment