Thursday, April 18, 2013

Regarding the Boston Marathon

I think we've all heard the news from Monday about the attacks at the finish line of the Boston Marathon.

Maybe my reaction was a little different. For one, I was a little more analystical about the actual bomb, who did it, what was it made of, how was it detonated. And then I thought, well, wouldn't that be a way to go. It's a BIG GOAL for many to qualify and run in Boston. If you've done that, and you can never run again, at least it was a good way to go.

That probably seems pretty mean to some people, but I really believe that when it's your time to go, there's nothing you can do about it. I'm not going to cut out any of my planned races, or change my goal of one day running in Boston. If something happens, it happens; I'm not going to regret not doing something because of a chance. I'd rather know that I was all in and went out with a bang, than take the quieter route.

But that's just me. I offer my deepest condolences to everyone that lost someone or was injured in the attacks. They obviously did nothing to deserve it.

I'm joining a lot of people across the country in remembering what happened, to show solidarity that we aren't scared, and we won't stop running. I wore my Disney Princess Half shirt after work on Tuesday, and will be joining a memorial run here in Augusta next week. I hope everyone makes the same choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment