Saturday, December 1, 2012

Trying New Things

First week back for a full week in almost a month! I love the holidays, we get so much time off!

This week I got my military driver's license, after almost 4 years in. Traditionally officers don't have to drive themselves around, but now I know that, should the occasion arise, I can drive a triple axle  high mobility tactical vehicle. Very slowly. 
I'm also officially a Captain in the US Army Signal Corps! Woohoo! Of course, I got a new charm for my charm bracelet to celebrate: 

Training this week has been pretty easy, since I'm still adjusting to the colder weather in the morning, though the afternoons are still around 70. This week went something like this:
  • M: 3 mile run; 800m swim
  • T: muscle failure for 60 minutes, abs and arms
  • W: 3.7 mile run with hill repeats; 900m swim with flippers
  • R: circuit training with kettlebells and medicine balls; Barre class
  • F: 3.5 mile trail run with 2 repeats of the sand hill built for the Fort Gordon USMC Mud Run

My new event for this week was Barre class. I had heard about a fitness studio here in Augusta that did it, so I tried it out. For one, I am not used to watching myself work out, but in the studio, there are mirrors everywhere. That definitely made me aware of my alignment and how I performed each exercise, as well as reminded me to tuck in my core the whole time. Flexibility is definitely not one of my strong suits, so that is something I plan on working on during the winter. Friday morning I could definitely feel the soreness in my glutes and abs, even more than the ab workout from Tuesday. Who says ballerinas are weaker than soldiers?

No comments:

Post a Comment