Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The Day After: Richmond Marathon

This is probably one of the days I was dreading most. I once ran a half marathon with almost no training, and it took me ten minutes to get out of bed the next morning. After shuffling around Richmond following the marathon, I had a feeling the next morning would be even worse. I took every precaution I could, assisted by Sally, who was under strict orders to not let me pass out too soon following the race. I iced my legs, stretched, ate protein and carbs after the race, rehydrated thoroughly, stretched some more, took ibuprofen, and realized I forgot to bring my foam roller. I even double checked my post-race massage appointment for Monday, just to be sure it was still on my calendar.

Sunday morning, though, I woke up at 7:30, and lied there, waiting for my legs to start crying at me. But it didn't happen. I moved them around. Knees were a little creaky, but everything else seemed ok. Tricksy legs. I decided to fall back asleep and see what would happen later, maybe the soreness just hadn't woken up yet.

About an hour later, I sat up again, and reached for my toes. Nothing seemed off, except for the above-mentioned knees being a little stiff and creaky. I gingerly stepped onto the floor, and did not fall over. Everything seemed normal. I stretched out a little more, walked downstairs for breakfast, and fueled up to seize the day.

Thankfully, Veteran's Day was great. Sally and I went to the Virginia War Memorial, which has the names of all Virginians who have died in war engraved around an eternal flame, with a statue titled Memory keeping watch:

After paying our respects, we went to the Valentine Richmond History Center to learn a little more about the history of Richmond. We toured the Wickham House (no, it does not belong to anyone from Pride and Prejudice) and several of the exhibits, with lots of pictures and artifacts from Richmond Past.

On the Pride and Prejudice note, I'm currently reading All Roads Lead to Austen by Amy Smith. It follows her journey through six South American countries leading reading groups about Jane Austen. I just left off after finishing A Feast For Crows, the fourth book in A Song of Ice and Sword. Only one more to go, but I just couldn't make myself start another 1,000-page book. My trusty Nook is saving it for later.

Later Sunday, I threw everything into my duffel and headed back to the Richmond Airport for my flight home. I have proof that the TSA doesn't really care: I made it through security with several GUs, my medal, and a large space blanket in my bag without getting searched. A short flight later, I was back in Atlanta and ready to drive home.

No comments:

Post a Comment